Instructions on how to create a government gateway account
- Go to HMRC’s login page.
- Click the GREEN sign in button. Please scroll to the bottom of the next page and click on “Continue to your account”.
- Click “Create sign in details”
- Enter your email address where asked.
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
- You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.RECOMMENDED: Print this page to PDF and file it somewhere safe. The user ID is a digital string so not memorable. Losing this ID can create a lot of work in the future (not to mention if you lose it moments before a deadline you may receive a late payment penalty).IMPORTANT: As the User ID is a digit string it is sometimes confused for your UTR or tax ID. If you are registering for a tax (such as self assessment) please not that you have not yet registered, you have only created your government gateway account. You will still need to complete another step to register with HMRC.
Once you have followed the above steps you will now have created your government gateway account.